It’s a common belief that carbs should be the focus of your diet. However, the keto diet is providing an alternative solution for those who want to lose weight or improve their health. In this article, we will go over ketones and how they affect the body, as well as what you can expect from a ketogenic diet.
What Is Keto Diet?
The keto diet is a high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet that forces the body to use ketones for energy instead of glucose. When you deprive your body of carbohydrates, it will start to break down stored fat into ketones. These ketones can then be used for energy by the cells in your body. This process is called ketosis.
The goal of a keto diet is to put your body into this state, which usually takes two days from when you start it. After that period, you will have already started losing weight and feeling more energetic.
Why should you try keto diet?
There are many reasons why you should try the keto diet. Some of these reasons include:
- Weight loss: One of the main benefits of the keto diet is weight loss. Your body begins to burn fat for energy rather than carbohydrates when you’re in ketosis. This results in a rapid weight loss that can be sustained as long as you are on the diet.
- Improved mental clarity: Keto has been shown to improve mental clarity and focus. This is likely because ketones provide a more stable form of energy than glucose does.
- Reduced inflammation: Chronic inflammation is responsible for many diseases, such as cancer and heart disease. The keto diet can help reduce inflammation, which in turn reduces your risk of these diseases.
- Control blood sugar: The keto diet is also good for controlling blood glucose levels because it limits the number of carbohydrates you intake. This means that even if you are diabetic, this diet may still be possible to follow without any issues.
- Reduced hunger: One of the reasons why many people fail at diets is because they are too hungry. The keto diet can reduce your appetite dramatically, which will make it much easier to stick to the plan and lose weight over time.
- Better skin: Many people report that their skin clears up when they start the keto diet. This is likely because ketones are a more efficient source of energy for the body than glucose.
- Diabetes management: Many studies show the keto diet can help people with type II diabetes manage their condition. This is because it can help reduce blood sugar and insulin levels.
- Epilepsy: The keto diet has been used to treat epilepsy since the 1920s, with great success. Studies have shown that in children who follow this diet, seizures are reduced by more than 50%.
Who should try keto diet?
The keto diet is good for most people, but it may not be the best choice if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Other than that, pretty much anyone could potentially benefit from following a ketogenic diet. This includes those with diabetes and heart disease because of its ability to lower inflammation in your body.
However, it is important to note that you should speak with your doctor before starting this or any other diet. This will ensure that the keto diet is a safe option for you and also rule out any underlying health conditions.
Is keto diet sustainable?
Yes, the keto diet is sustainable as long as you are following it correctly. This means that you should not be adding any carbohydrates back into your diet, even if they are considered “healthy”. Many people have been successful in maintaining their weight loss by following a keto diet for years.
If you want to try the keto diet, it is best to start gradually. This can help your body adjust and then you will be able to determine whether or not the ketogenic lifestyle is right for you. If after some time on this diet, you decide that it’s not something you want to continue with, simply stop following it as directed.
The keto diet is a great way to lose weight and improve your overall health. It is sustainable, efficient, and can be tailored to fit most people’s needs. If you are still in doubt about whether or not to try it, speak with your doctor. They will be able to determine if the keto diet is right for you.